Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Suffering and Trust

2 Corinthians 1:8-9 For we do not want you to be ignorant, brethren, of our trouble which came to us in Asia: that we were burdened beyond measure, above strength, so that we despaired even of life. Yes, we had the sentence of death in ourselves, that we should not trust in ourselves but in God who raises the dead.

Paul suffered in Asia, despairing even of life itself. I wonder how many of us have suffered to the point we despaired of life. I know I often feel "...burdened beyond measure, above strength." The questions accompanying suffering are some of the biggest in life; Why do people suffer? Looking at this from God's perspective, I think it can be answered very simply. It actually IS answered in the verse above; "that we should not trust in ourselves but in God who raises the dead." It all boils down to "Where are we putting our trust?" Not only is the answer simply given, but validation for the object of our trust is given. "...who raises the dead." How much more validation do we need? Of all the things that could happen to us, the worst would most likely be death. If He has a solution for this worst of fates, can we not trust that He also has solutions for everything else that we face?

2 comments:

Cathy said...

You are sooo right. Suffering has purpose...I read a verse this am...Be strong and brave...and wait. Sometimes it really does take bravery just to wait on Him...to intertwine yourself with Him...

Mim said...

Besty,

Wow this is so good. I am writing a talk I am doing called Beauty for Ashes and I think I will share what you wrote. Keep on writing Sis you have much inspiration to give.

love your sis,
Melissa