Friday, September 24, 2010

Who is God, Really?

"Well, Muslims and other people believe in their god as strongly as we believe in God. How do we know that Jesus really is who He said he is?"
We had just been talking about the anti-christ. Who is he? Is he alive today? Where will he come from? How many people will be fooled into thinking he is the long awaited messiah/savior/redeemer that is so desperately needed in our broken world? How will he deceive them? 
"Well, the first question you want to answer is: Is the Bible true?"  I said. "Think about it; 66 book written by 40 different men over a period of 2,000 years. Yet it is historically accurate, scientifically accurate, and contains many prophecies that were fortold and have been fulfilled since it was written." 
This is a conversation I would expect to have with a college or high school student. Someone wondering if what they had been taught in church or at home was true. Every healthy thinking person goes through a period of questioning  their beliefs, and they should. It would be a person of weak faith indeed that blindly accepts whatever they have been told. True Truth can stand up to questioning. The answers are available for those who seek God with a sincere heart.

It wasn't a college or high school student. It was my nine year old daughter.

It was a wake up call to me that she already has thought processes that I need to continue to challenge and ground. Perhaps at a deeper level than I anticipated. She needs to be given truth with reason and taught the "why" behind her faith. And it is my responsibility to teach her this, and provide the resources she needs to build a faith of her own.

The spiritual battle is vivid and raging all around. It is a vying for her mind, heart and soul. It begins in the mind, and I intend to put on my armor and fight with everything I have for her and each of my precious children. Through prayer and the sword of the Spirit; the Word of God. Another way I am doing that is ordering this book; "Who is God, and Can I Really Know Him?" Why we believe what we believe. I have a friend who is reading it to her 7 & 9 year old, so I know it is something she will be able to understand, and from a source I trust for worldview resources.
I can't wait to get it and begin reading it together!

1 comment:

Allyse said...

Voddie Baucham has a powerful sermon on this, "Why I Choose to Believe the Bible."

You can download it online here: http://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninfo.asp?SID=530914253

Reading from II Peter 1:16-20, he says, "It is a collection of historic documents written by eyewitnesses during the lifetime of other eyewitnesses. They record supernatural events that took place in fulfillment of specific prophecies and claim that their writing are divine, rather than human in origin."

Fascinating stuff! My teenage brothers loved it!