Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Obedience is Better Thans Sacrifice

"If you WON'T LISTEN to God in one area, there may come a time when you CAN'T HEAR Him in other areas." Pastor Steven Furtick

I have an online "Google Group" that I post scripture verses that have touched me and the thoughts they have inspired. This particular study I have found very poignant in my life.

"Then Samuel said, "Is the LORD as delighted with burnt offerings and sacrifices as he would be with your obedience? To follow instructions is better than to sacrifice. To obey is better than sacrificing the fat of rams." 1 Samuel 15:22

The back story to this verse is that King Saul had just taken an enemy camp and God gave him specific instructions as to how it was to be done. He followed the instructions sort of, but didn't obey some of them. He picked and chose what he wanted to do, rather than obey exactly what God said. Afterward, he decided he wanted to make a big extravagant sacrifice to God to "make up" for his disobedience, but God was not pleased with this. God sent Samuel the prophet to rebuke Saul for his disobedience.

For me, the application is easy to make. If there is an area that God's Word clearly states for me to do, and I am holding back my obedience to God, then God is not pleased. I can make extravagant sacrifices in other areas that look great to other people, but God is fully aware of my disobedience and is still not pleased, even though it may appear to those around me that I am really doing great things.

Know: God knows my heart and desires my obedience.
Change: When God's Word is clear on something and I am not obeying; examine my heart and choose obedience rather than overcompensating in other areas.
Do: Be at peace when I know in my heart I am living in obedience.

No comments: